customer inspiration and the thrilling aspect of making perfume

Excuse my sloppy writing as I texted this on my iphone..
Still no sun here in Portland. Anyone feel like sending some our way it might banish some grey skies and a cloud raining doubts upon me. "Hogwash!" I know. I should have more confidence in my intuitive compositions. I have the nose and skill as well. It just becomes a bit intimidating out here in this big world of perfumery. I must just stay true to myself!
ANYWAY... On to brighter pastures. The other day a kind of beautiful turn had occurred in my Ramos Gin Fizz, lemon bar, escape (no name yet obviously) perfume composition.
I had shared a bit of the story to a customer on Etsy, how i imagined the vacation- like patio setting on a beautiful, sunny afternoon with friends drinking Ramos Gin fizzes. She wrote me back saying that she used to live in California. She would go to brunch at this restaurant with an incredible back, brick patio with hanging flowers and cypress trees and have....Ramos Gin Fizzes! She said I could make the memory come alive again for her. She lived my vision. How wild is that!
The fact she added her experience made the story of the scent much more alive and meaningful. So, instead of my simple vacation escape with sweets, booze in an idealized imaginary setting, I have a real sense of a place, memory and feelings to go along with it.
The only way I can explain the full excitement of this addition of her story is explaining the roots of my over active imagination. When I was very young growing up on the island of Juneau Alaska it was cold, wet and isolated. My idea of the whole world was through the two channels of tv we received or the many books I devoured. Fresh fruit was impossible to get. I don't think I ate a mango until I was in my 20's. The first fresh fruit I ate off a tree (a mandarin) was in the middle of a pool in Palm Springs while on a paid vacation from my boss. (This mandarin, mind blowing experience happened in a condo complex full of old people who never used the pool. I was 26.)
I have a hunger for learning and information. One of the many things I cherish about people is that we all have a story and history to share. You can learn something new from anyone you meet. People are extraordinary!
Now this perfume has taken on a whole new life and vision also new fragrant notes.
I added cypress from her story of going to the restaurant which blends well with the juniper and other notes.
I feel/would like this perfume to express a sense of real inner happiness, confidence and peace, a person taking a break for an hour, a day or on vacation with a bit of libation and a gorgeous view of nature.

The fragrance notes are too many to mention yet the composition doesn't seem cluttered. Right now I have three kinds of petitgrain an orange blossom, hesperidic notes, florals, black currant, ginger lilly angelica, light woods and styrax. So far it is a bright, clean scent with impressive staying power.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts